Prayer is an important part of our Christian walk. Whether you're interceding for someone or casting your cares on the Lord, prayer will draw you closer to God and supercharge your spiritual life.
If you're wondering how to pray or what to pray about, we've got some guidance and Bible verses to help you. If you have a prayer request to submit to our prayer chain, please fill out the prayer request form at the bottom of this page.
Why Should I Pray?
As believers, we all need to pray on a daily basis--for the needs of others and ourselves. Here's some great reasons why you should talk to the Lord daily!
Pray because you want to.
My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, Lord, I will seek.
~ PSALM 27:8
Pray because God asks you to.
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
~ COLOSSIANS 4:2
Pray because you need to.
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
~ JAMES 1:5
The Laws of Prayer
- My personal spiritual life will never rise above the level of my prayer life.
- My church's effectiveness will never rise above the level of our corporate praying.
- My understanding of prayer will determine my commitment to prayer.
- The only way to learn to pray is to pray.
When Should I Pray?
Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before.
~ DANIEL 6:10
The king said to me, “What is it you want?” Then I prayed to the God of heaven,
~ NEHEMIAH 2:4
~ 1 THESSALONIANS 5:17
What Should I Pray About?
There are countless things we should pray about! In fact, the Lord invites us to cast all our cares on Him because He cares for us (1 Peter 5:7). Here are a few ways to get you started with prayer:
- For forgiveness of personal sin
- For the salvation of the lost and backslidden
- For pastors, spiritual leaders, and governing authorities
- For your church and community
- For revival and awakening
- For healing, wisdom, and protection for those in need
- For spiritual growth in your life and in those of others
How Do I Pray?
Prayer is simply a conversation with God. No fancy words are needed; simply talk to God humbly, honestly, and reverently--as you would to your dearest friend.
- Surrender yourself to Him and confess your sins to Him.
- Be filled with the awe and reverence of His holiness and love.
- Pour out your heart and cast all your burdens on Him.
- Thank Him for everything He has done and everything He will do.
- Pray in Jesus' Name, for it is through Him that we have access to God the Father.
Verses about Prayer
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
~ MATTHEW 6:6-8
Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
~ HEBREWS 4:16
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
~ PHILIPPIANS 4:6-7
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
~ JAMES 5:16
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.
~ 1 JOHN 5:14-15
Submit a Prayer Request
Have a prayer request, or want to pray with someone from NBCC? Email our secretary Josie Wood at [email protected], and we'll get in touch with you as soon as possible.
If you have an urgent prayer request, please call Pastor Lewis Burton at (912) 266-1490.
Some of the content on this page was taken from Next Level Praying: The Keys to Effective Intercession by Michael Catt.